Some common areas of concern that I may be able to help you with include: stress and anxiety, sadness or lack of motivation, difficult relationships whether intimate or work related, and developing goals and plans for the future.
Possible Benefits of Therapy
- Greater control of anxiety and stress
- More fulfilling relationships
- Increased motivation to achieve goals
- A sense of direction and purpose
Couples therapy or relationship counseling is designed to help clients work through relationship and communication problems and create or reconnect to love, respect and emotional closeness. I work with high-functioning couples helping them listen for and understand the emotional needs of the other. Effective couples therapy facilitates a process that feels safe and constructive. Additionally, couples can learn tools to navigate problems, work through conflicts and increase the attachment bond, which results in deepened intimacy and trust.
What research tells us about relationships:
- Emotional distance is more destructive than conflict
- The way a couple fights is more important than what they fight about
- Attachment insecurity leads to conflict and or distance
- In distressed relationships some partners shut down and withdraw as a way to manage intense emotions
Common issues in couples therapy:
- Healing from emotional affairs and infidelity
- Divorce, remarriage and blended family
- Sexual problems such as incompatibility or lack of desire
- Health or emotional problems
- Healing from addictions or substance abuse
- Money and financial concerns
- Difficulties with communication or expressing needs
- Conflicts about values and child rearing
- Cultural differences
- Anger and resentment problems
- Roles and work/life balance
My role is to create a safe space where these difficult issues can be explored and grounded, which can actually become a force for positive change and foster greater connection and intimacy in the couple.
Individual therapy is a deep commitment to oneself that offers the gifts of insight and deeper psychological development. Symptoms such as anxiety and depression are your psyche’s way of indicating that things need to change.
In my work with you, we will deal with the effects of the past on your present reality to reveal to you the inner dynamics that are hidden from your awareness. We will explore adaptive survival styles and other ways of coping that you developed that are no longer serving you personally and in your relationships. This exploration will give you the kind of “gut-level knowing” that leads you to a deeper connection to yourself and others, which can ultimately transform your life.
Peak Performance Coaching
I provide Peak Performance Coaching for clients who struggle with performance blocks and anxiety issues. This is an effective, growth oriented process for test-taking anxiousness as well as performance enhancement for athletes, musicians, executives, politicians, public speakers and performers of all types.
Research supports what many doctors and health practitioners have always known: the mind and body are connected. Our emotions, thoughts and habits can impact our bodies, and in powerful ways. Changing habits can be a challenge for most of us, but with wellness coaching, it is possible to eliminate the old and adopt healthier, health-sustaining practices.
Stress is present for all of us. Those who have a difficult time coping with stress on their own often turn to unhealthy ways of coping. For many, hiring a specialist to help coach them in this area can be the most helpful way of understanding, addressing and changing negative patterns that interfere with a healthy lifestyle. Personal issues such as relationships, money and problems in your professional life, left unmanaged, can lead to anxiety, depression and serious physical illness.
Reducing stress in your life is not impossible. In fact, this can be easy to do if you are helped to understand which steps to take and how to face problems as they arise. This can change the way you function on a daily basis, as well as in “performance situations” thus ending years of avoiding the spotlight and other performance-related situations.
Online Therapy/Distance Therapy
Online Therapy refers to professional services offered by telephone, Skype or Gmail video conferencing. E-Therapy is similar to coaching and can be used effectively to help high-functioning individuals with a range of issues including: Relationship problems, mild anxiety and stress-related problems, work and career issues, motivational difficulties, self-growth, and for existing clients who may have to miss sessions because of schedule conflicts. Online therapy is a very convenient option for those with busy work schedules or for individuals who travel extensively or split their time between two homes. Many choose to augment their face-to-face sessions using online services. Online therapy is limited, and is not meant to replace in-person sessions, nor is it a substitute for emergency treatment. Online therapy is not appropriate for the following problems:
- Individuals diagnosed with a psychiatric disorder
- Bipolar Disorder or psychotic symptoms (delusions, hallucinations, disorganized thinking)
- Difficulties related to an addiction to drugs and alcohol
- Those in need of a medical diagnosis or hospitalization
- Crisis or those at risk for harming self or others
It is important to understand that technology can fail and safeguards must be considered to protect your privacy. If people in your home or office have access to your computer, the confidentiality of your online therapy session may be at risk.